Families seeking healthy
water solutions for the children of the District of Columbia:
Free bottled water, filters
for poor women, infants and children; rebates for taxpayers; expedited
lead line replacement
full disclosure, mapping of
lead affected areas, comprehensive testing of city schools, recreations
and licensed child care
facilities, public outreach and education, particularly among
Sign up for lobbyline updates
City promises filters for daycare centers and some homes
URGE THE CITY
TO PROVIDE FREE FILTERS TO ALL WHO NEED THEM!!
Email or fax these
ideas to the D.C. Council
Phone, Fax, Email, Snail
Mail Addresses of the Council
(Fact: The Source of
D.C. Water is the Potomac River.)
Fax the D.C. Council these ideas or your own.
Please sign me up for updates on lead
in DC Water
Please sign me up for lobbyline's periodic,
brief updates about other issues.
Rep. Tom Davis
Mayor Anthony Williams
Hon. Kevin Chavous, D.C. Council
Hon. Adrian Fenty, DC Council
Hon. Linda Cropp, D.C. Council
Hon. Harold Brazil, D.C. Council
Hon. David Catania, D.C. Council
Hon. Carol Schwartz, D.C. Council
Hon. Phil Mendelson, D.C. Council
Hon. Jim Graham, D.C. Council
Hon. Kathleen Patterson, D.C. Council
Hon. Vincent Orange, D.C. Council
Hon. Sharon Ambrose, D.C. Council
Hon. Sandy Allen, D.C. Council
The city is now making filters available to families in lead line serviced homes. It is a start, but still inadequate because lead could be leaching from pipes, joints and fixtures, putting all the city's children and pregnant women at risk.
Our children in D.C. can not wait for healthy clean water. Their future is now. I urge you to perform the following to ensure that all of our children have healthy water to drink now and in the future:
1. Please immediately make available lead-free water for all of D.C.'s pregnant women, new mothers, infants and children up to 6 years of age, that is for
Indigent Families: Free NSF-certified bottled water or NSF-certified water filters
Eligible Families: Tax credits to taxpayers for the expense of NSF-certified bottled water and filtration products
2. Federal funding for expedited replacement of lead service lines from the 7% per year replacement schedule to 20% per year
Congress' cuts to EPA's budget for corrosion control programs nationally have reduced the funds available to the District's to address the lead leaching problem.
The structural deficit, a by-product of a local D.C. tax base financing both federal and local infrastructure needs, creates a just demand that the federal government bear some of the burden of the expense of improving the water system.
3. Immediate individual outreach to all of the affected and at-risk population, particularly those with water samples testing with elevated lead levels. This should include prompt disclosure, reporting to individuals and the public, and scheduled replacement of lead lines.
4. Public outreach and education to fully inform the public of the planned testing regimen, with mapping of results and agressive public education on lead exposure reduction as well as a permanent free lead testing program of any D.C. home or residential facility.
5. While some testing has been done and more is scheduled for child-serving facilities, perform thorough and rigorous testing of all potentially affected waterways, including multiple family dwellings, all city schools, recreation centers, libraries, licensed child care facilities and schools. Apartment buildings are of particular concerns to many city residents.
6. Financial assistance to residents for private lead plumbing, components and fixtures replacement.
Share your ideas.
the D.C. Council
Chairman Linda W. Cropp (D-At Large) Room 504 Democrat
724-8032 Fax # 724-8085
Harold Brazil (D - At Large) Room 404 Democrat
724-8174 Fax # 724-8156
Carol Schwartz (R - At Large) Room 105 Republican
724-8105 Fax # 724-8071
David A. Catania (R - At Large) Room 110 Republican
724-7772 Fax # 724-8087
Phil Mendelson ( D - At Large)Room 400 Democrat
724-8064 Fax # 724-8099
Jim Graham (D - Ward 1)Room 406 Democrat
724-8181 Fax # 724-8109
Jack Evans (D - Ward 2)Room 106 Democrat
724-8058 Fax # 724-8023
Kathleen Patterson (D- Ward 3)Room 107 Democrat
724-8062 Fax # 724-8118
Adrian Fenty (D - Ward 4)Room 506 Democrat
724-8052 Fax # 724-8120
Vincent B. Orange, Sr. (D - Ward 5)Room 108 Democrat
724-8028 Fax # 724-8076
Sharon Ambrose (D - Ward 6)Room 102 Democrat
724-8072 Fax # 724-8054
Kevin P. Chavous (D - Ward 7)Room 402 Democrat
724-8068 Fax # 724-8097
Sandy (Sandra) Allen (D - Ward 8)Room 408 Democrat
724-8045 Fax # 724-8055